Posts Tagged ‘prepare vehicle for winter’
As the summer weather ebbs away and the air becomes crisp, you realize that winter is coming.
Just as you prepare your home for the winter, you should prepare your vehicle as well! In this article, we will outline tips on how to properly winterize your vehicle.
It is very important to refill or replace the liquids in your vehicle.
- Coolant – Making sure the right mixture of antifreeze and water will prevent freezing in your vehicle’s radiator.
- Oil – As the temperatures drop, the oil in your car can expand and become thick. Some mechanics will recommend switching to a thinner oil if your area’s temperatures drop below freezing.
- Wiper fluid – Make sure you replace your wiper fluid with freeze-resistant fluid
There are four kinds of tires you can choose from when it comes to seasonal tires:
- All Season Tires – These are the most common and are perfect for areas that have mild winters.
- All Weather Tires – These tires maintain good handling in both cold and heat and can be left on all year around.
- Studded Winter Tires – These tires are only allowed from October 1 through April 30. The metal studs in the tires are used to help gain traction through icy areas.
- Winter Tires – These tires are best used in moderate winter areas as they are made to trek through packed snow and rough ice. They are made from a compound that stays soft in cold conditions to help reduce tire problems due to the cold temperatures.
Check the Battery
Your battery can also be negatively affected due to cold winter temperatures. Be sure to look over your battery, battery cables, and battery fluid for any cracks or leaks. If your battery fluid is low, you can refill it with distilled water. If you notice you’re having a hard time turning your vehicle on, you may need to replace your battery.
Prepare an Emergency Winter Kit
It is always important to store an emergency kit in your car just in case. In this kit you should keep:
- A flashlight
- A blanket
- Gloves and a hat
- First Aid kit
- Ice scraper
- Road flares
- Jumper cables
Of course, you can always add to your winter kit with essentials tailor made for your family.
If your vehicle needs service, create an appointment online for any of our Service centers!
Keeping your vehicle winter ready is keeping your family safe, Regardless!